Sunday, August 29, 2010
Travel and Adventure: "Belapur Fort"
Belapur Fort is a fort near the township of Belapur in Navi Mumbai. Built in 1560-1570 by the Siddis of Janjira, after they wrested control of the area from the Portuguese, it is located atop a hillock, near the mouth of the Panvel Creek. In 1682, the fort was recaptured by the Portuguese, who had managed to annex the regions controlled by the Siddis, near Belapur (at that time known as Shabaz).